Friday, September 11, 2009

Still Fast

It's Friday afternoon in Dover, and there hasn't been much change in the wind. Which means I will not likely be swimming anytime soon. Based on the wind forecast I had some hopes for Sunday, but the most recent forecast makes that look unlikely. That darn anti-cyclone centered off the west coast of Ireland! How dare it make me wait to swim the Channel?!

The title of this post is a quote from the book I am reading, "Endurance." As I mentioned before it is about Shackleton's attempt to cross Antarctica in 1915. It didn't go well. They got caught in pack ice before they even reached the continent, and spent a very long time, in very bad weather, held fast by the ice. Day after day, their diary entries say "still fast," with their lives at risk everyday, sometimes every moment. Certainly puts my swim, and my wait, in perspective.

I do have some wonderful news: the fund raising for the school in Angola just went over $20,000! My goal is $50,000 (because that is what it will actually take to build the school), so we have a ways to go still, but I am fabulously pleased to reach $20,000. There have now been hundreds of people who have contributed, and I am most grateful to all of you! On behalf of the kids of Waku Kungo, thank you!

Hmmm...I think I buried the lede!

Cheers!

No comments: