Saturday, August 29, 2009

How Time Flies

Yikes, time flies when you are in final prep for the English Channel. The first day of my swim window is just two weeks from yesterday. Wahoo! It's almost here. Since I got back from Europe I have been getting back up to full strength and putting in some good hours, and it has gone well.

My arm (actually, my right triceps injury) is pain free, although maybe a little "tender" after a few hours of swimming - but at that point everything is "tender" so it's hard to tell. Anyway, it is not affecting my swimming at all. I went to the doc and am getting some physical therapy, just to make sure everything is healed as much as possible before my swim.

I did my long swim last Tuesday in Lake Geneva, and ended up going 8 1/2 hours. I had a couple of rough hours in the middle, but for the last two or so I felt good and finished strong, so it was pretty encouraging. If my rough estimate based on a look at Google Maps is anywhere near accurate I only covered about 13 miles, which is not great, but even that is on pace for a 13-14 hour Channel swim, which is pretty much what I have said all along, so all is good. Dave Tanaglia accompanied me in his kayak pretty much the whole 8 1/2 hours, and Roger (last name?) and Gary (last name?) swam with me some of the time. Dave's help was invaluable, so thanks Dave! And thanks to Roger and Linda for their very kind hospitality as a base for the day.

More soon, with pictures of Dover and Europe, I promise!

No comments: