Friday, July 10, 2009

The Sabbatical Begins

The sabbatical has begun. Thanks to a wonderful (and wise) provision of my work at church, and an unbelievable grant from the Lilly Foundation, I have now begun my sabbatical. I don't go back to work until October 27. I know, it's not fair. Everybody should have a sabbatical, I agree! I promise to use mine wisely, for real renewal to help me serve the church faithfully and passionately in the future.

Anyway, back to more mundane matters - Yesterday was a fabulous training swim: 7 hours tethered to the side of my backyard pool. I say "fabulous" because it was a good challenge mentally to swim through the darkness (I started at 3:00 a.m.), the monotony, and the sensory deprivation. To add to the fun, my stomach didn't feel right for a couple of hours. So, naturally, I loved it. Great training! The only problem was that the water wasn't cold enough: a balmy 68. Oh well.

1 comment:

Recipes with Tom said...

Loved readiing this thank you